I came down with a chest cold this week, so out came all my favorite remedies to get me through the day and on to healing. These are all must have items in my arsenal and have used them faithfully with much success!
- Throat Coat Tea. Besides the beautiful aroma, it tastes delicious and brings relief to sore throats. For whatever reason when I get a chest cold by voice goes first. Mmmmmmm I love Throat Coat Tea.
- Throat Calm by Boiron. Boiron has a full selection of homeopathic remedies and the way they label them makes it easier on the average customer looking to stay away from straight up medication. Sore throat? Take Throat Calm….etc. These little tablets melt under your tongue and are flavorless.
3. Elderberry Syrup. I keep a glass jar of this in the fridge through most of the winter. I use THIS RECIPE from The Wellness Mama. I buy dry elderberries in the bulk section at Earth Fare. Check your local health food store or you can buy bulk online. When I’m fighting a cold I take a spoonful 3 times a day. My kids take a spoonful once a day when sickness is around and more often if they are feeling under the weather.
4. Favorite Oil Diffuser for some serious output! I’ve had this diffuser for 2 years and I pull it out when someone is stuffed up, congested, feverish…. and put it by their bed. You can put essential oils in it and it puts out some serious healing vapors! ahhhh….. I really like it.
5. Rest. As in, lay my head down, close my eyes and rest! We have had the Indulgence pillows from Bed, Bath & Beyond for 8 years and JUST replaced them. My husband and I each have a back sleeper pillow and a side sleeper pillow. But no matter the pillow, seriously, being diligent about finding sleep, and rest is very important! And if I’m having a hard time falling asleep these two things help: Quietude and Natural Calm (raspberry lemon). Quietude actually helps me when I have a cough at night too.
6. Epsom Salt Baths. Run a warm bath, dump in some Epsom Salt. It can help with inflammation and sore muscles and calm your mind.
*this post contains some affiliate links.